This work is a large 1877 oil painting by the French artist Gustave Calillebotte. The piece depicts the Place de Dublin, an intersection near the Gare Saint Lazare, a railroad station in north Paris. One of Caillebotte's best known works, it debuted at the Third Impressionist Exhibition of 1877 and is currently owned by the Art Institute of Chicago. Caillebotte's interest in photography is evident from the painting. The figures in the foreground appear slightly out of focus, those in the mid-distance have sharp edges, while the features in the background becomes progressively indistinct.