Monday, September 24, 2012

A Wind God

Title: A Wind God
Artist: Pietro da Cortona
Medium: Chalk on Paper

Pietro de Cortona was born in 1596 in Italy. He was one of the leading Baroque artists of his time. He did a lot of decor work in Rome and Florence throughout his life and is most commonly known for his "frescoed ceilings". Cortona also became a famous architect and worked on projects such as the Santi Luca e Martina, Accademia di San Luca and the Villa Pigneto. These are just a few of his projects, among his many interior paintings. This sketch in particular was done simply with chalk on paper. Entitled A Wind God, it is one of many line drawings done by Cortona. I liked this one because it is not hectic, there is not too much going on and to me it is calming. It caught my eye when reading this chapter and stuck in my head all day, so I knew this was going to be a piece I loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment