Monday, September 3, 2012

Ghiberti and Brunelleschi- Sacrafice of Isaac

When I studied abroad last summer in Florence I was able to witness the Ghiberti and Brunelleschi Sacrafice of Isaac's.  Before I went traveled to Florence I read a book on Brunelleschi and the Brunelleschi Dome in Italy and it really inspired me to learn more about him and Italian art history.

To find out that there was actually a competition for who is building the doors for the Baptisery intrigued me even more. Brunelleschi and Ghiberit were the two main contendors for the competition of the doors. Being able to see them for myself with my own eyes after reading about them for so long was amazing.

They were made in 1401 and the medium of the Sacrafice of Isaac's is bronze.

Both pieces of art are currently in the Bargello in Florence, Italy. Although Ghiberti won the competition they do look very similar when you first look at a glance. Brunelleschi submitted a Gothic work of art while Ghiberti submitted a completely different look in art called "Renaissance".



No comments:

Post a Comment